2019 General Tryout Information
May 22, 2019
Dear MSYSA Members and Prospective Members:
MSYSA recognizes that try-outs are an important time for players, parents and guardians. As you prepare for this year’s try-outs, MSYSA encourages you to review specific information as it pertains to this year’s try-outs. Also, please know that try-outs by clubs may not take place prior to Saturday, June 15, 2019.
The abbreviated information below highlights MSYSA’s seasonal year (Rule 2.11) and a player’s commitment to a team for a full seasonal year (Rule 3.4). Also, for reference, a player may not sign a player agreement/contract, submit a fee and/or register prior to June 15, 2019. (Rule 3.4)
In addition, MSYSA encourages you to also review, and familiarize yourselves with, our rules as it relates to player releases (voluntary and involuntary), player transfers and our poaching and illegal recruitment rules. (Rule 3.6 & Rule 3.7)
MSYSA Rule 2.11:
- The upcoming seasonal year begins on June 15, 2019 and concludes on June 13, 2020.
MSYSA Rule 3.4:
- Once a player registers with a club they are committed to that club for the full seasonal year.
- The registered player can potentially participate on other teams within the club’s organization depending on MSYSA member affiliate registration rules.
- Any attempt to induce a player to change teams for either the current or the following seasonal year prior to the end of the seasonal year shall be poaching in violation of Rule 3.7.
- Leagues, clubs or teams affiliated through member organizations having tryouts prior to June 15, 2019 and/or charging any type of fee for tryouts are not eligible for any MSYSA sponsored events.
- No player shall sign a player agreement/contract, submit a fee and/or register prior to June 15, 2019.
MSYSA Rule 3.6:
- A registered player will be granted a voluntary release if:
a) A parent/player request to be released.
b) The player moves to a new address, a distance which in the opinion of the board of directors, would make it impractical for him/her to continue with the original team or,
c) There are mitigating circumstances, which in the opinion of the board of directors, justifies a release.
- A registered player will be granted an involuntary release if:
a) The original team suspends operations for the remainder of the seasonal year or;
b) The player has violated rules of this Association and has been suspended for a period greater than five (5) games or,
c) The player is injured in such a manner that the player will not be able to participate for the remainder of the seasonal year or,
d) The player moves to a new address, a distance that in the opinion of the board of directors would make it impractical for him to continue with the original team and has demonstrated an inability to continue in participation on the soccer team or,
e) There are mitigating circumstances, which in the opinion of the board of directors justify a release.
- A player may apply for a player transfer once they have been granted a player release.
- MSYSA is authorized to grant a player transfer without exiting team member organization and new team member organization approval on the basis of player safety, relocation, and/or reasons as determined by the MSYSA Board of Directors.
- All other player transfers must be approved by the player’s existing team member organization and new team member organization before MSYSA member organizations will consider approving the transfer.
- Player transfers will only be processed during the period between November 1 and March 1 by affiliated leagues.
MSYSA Rule 3.7:
- Poaching is considered a significant offense by this Association and any league, club, or individual found to have committed a poaching violation shall be subject to a significant sanction as determined by the MSYSA Board of Directors.
- Poaching violations include, but are not limited to:
a) Attempts at any time prior to the approved tryout start date of any seasonal year to induce a registered player (or their parent or their guardian) of any team, or any team as a whole, club, or league under the jurisdiction of this Association to leave their current affiliation before the end of the
current seasonal year
will be considered a poaching violation.
b) Attempts at any time prior to the approved tryout start date of any seasonal year to induce a registered player (or their parent or their guardian) of any team, or any team as a whole, club, or league under the jurisdiction of this Association to leave their current affiliation for the
following seasonal year
will be considered a poaching violation.
c) In those instances in which a coach moves from one club to another separate and distinct club at the end of the seasonal year, the coach may not coach any rostered players from teams of the former club he/she was identified as a primary or assistant coach (excluding the coach’s son or daughter) in the following seasonal year with exceptions for:
I. The coach’s club dissolves.
II. The coach moves 100 miles making the commute to the coach’s existing club impractical.
III. The appropriate prior club representative, the club president or DOC, agrees in writing to the coach’s move to a different club.
- For purposes of this rule, contact is not limited to personal contact, but will include contact by phone, text, emails, Facebook and all other social media.
- Responsible representatives include but are not limited to parents of team members, trainers, team managers, club or league board members, and club or league directors of coaching.
- Open Houses, if approved and sanctioned by MSYSA, would not be considered poaching.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the MSYSA State Office.